Manually update your US Dell Streak to 2.2
NO NEED TO ROOT and NO 3rd party utilities are required.
Warning this will WIPE your phone and restore it to factory Settings
Note: Applying the update to my current build did not work, I had to follow the steps below. Writing this blog post took longer than doing the update. This update has one less step than the 1.6 to 2.1 update.
You will need
1. A windows PC.
2. Your phone & USB cable.
3. Download two Dell Streak ROM files.
4. The Dell PC Suite for the windows drivers. (comes on your phone)
5. The Android SDK for the windows fastboot command
First locate and download
1. The Dell Streak recovery ROM (It’s the same for both the UK and the US)
2. The Android 2.2 upgrade package you want.
I used the official (build 12792) update package located at:
3. The Android SDK
The Android SDK
1. Unzip but do not install the Android SDK
2. Move the folder to C:\ and rename the folder to SDK
To install the Dell PC Suite
1. Power ON your Dell Streak
2. Plug it into your computer using the USB cable
3. Allow it to install the drivers
4. Install Dell PC Suite found on the Dell Streak USB Drive
The two Dell Streak ROM files
1. Download the Dell Streak stock recovery ROM, name it “recovery.stock.img” and copy it to c:\
2. Download the Dell Streak 2.2 upgrade package, name it ‘Update.pkg’
and copy it to the root directory of your Dell Streak microSD card
1. Power OFF your Dell Streak and unplug the USB Cable.
2. Hold the camera button and turn if back on.
3. Press ‘Fastboot Mode’ button, wait 10 seconds then connect the USB cable.
Your phone will be saying “Wait for USB Fastboot detect”
Install the Bootloader
If this is the first time running FastBoot with this PC
you may need to install the “Android Bootloader Interface” driver
1. Go to the Device Manager on your computer.
2. Look for a yellow triangle ! icon with the name Android next to it.
3. Right-click on the icon and select “Update Driver Software”
4. Click on “Browse my computer…” click “Let me pick…” click “Android Phone”
5. Select “Android Bootloader Interface”
6. You’ll get a warning saying installing the driver isn’t recommended by Windows.
You must select to install it anyway.
After the installation is complete, “Android Phone” will be listed properly in the Device Manager and “Fastboot_Mode” will be on your Streak’s screen.
Load the Recovery Image
1. Make sure the .img file is in c:\
2. Open a command prompt and navigate to your SDK tools folder its where ‘fastboot.exe’ is located.
fastboot.exe -i 0x413c flash recovery c:\recovery.stock.img
The program will now update the recovery image on your Streak.
4. When the phone reads ‘Recovery Done’ unplug the USB cable and remove the battery.
Then insert the battery it again.
Load the Update.pkg
1. Boot Streak in Recovery mode
(Hold down both the vol Up & Down buttons at the same time while turning on)
2. Use the Vol Up and Down to select option 2 and click the camera button to select.
3. Click the camera button again to start recovery
Relax for a few minutes and wait for the Streak to reboot.